|The left side back moulding on the old body.|
As you may recall, when I last left this blog in dormancy, I had been working on transferring the moulding pieces from the rusted hunk of the original lower body onto the new pieces of sheet metal that I fabricated. The moulding surrounds the bottom of the door area to the front seats (since the 1910 Q3 didn't have physical doors up there), and they're separate metal pieces that flare out at the top and halfway act as supports for the front seat (and a visual coupler from the vertical angles of the extreme front of the body with the concave back half).
My issues were twofold in making the transplant: First, the mouldings were secured to the old body with difficult-to-remove rivet-like pieces that were very flush with the body (I would later have to grind these down with a Dremel from the inside). Second, I didn't have a very effective way of hooking them onto the new body since I wouldn't be using the existing horizontal holes.
|These are some of the rivets (seen from the back) on the|
right side of the front seat crosspiece.
So I finally bit the bullet and bought a hand rivet gun, hoping to use it to secure both the mouldings and the crosspieces for the front seat support.
The spirit had moved me after inspecting the old body, noting the seven rivets on each side of the crosspieces and seeing that the outer heads had been smoothed over with some sort of filler 105 years ago. This would still preserve my goal of fixing the car without cutting corners and welding, and it would avert the crisis of overpowering the metal by burning right through it while attempting a weld.
|Right back moulding now free.|
The rest of the process has been very smooth, though. The driver's side (which is right on the Maxwell) is completely done and smoothed, and I've presently affixed the front piece on the passenger side. I've managed to free the last piece, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get that measured and riveted.
The whole endeavor has been somewhat tedious, but it's extremely exciting to see the pieces of this metallic jigsaw puzzle fall into place. With the actual moulding in hand, though, I can figure out how far the lowest point of the cutout stays straight (which is easy to bend). That allows me to hang the piece on the metal, making sure the top flare is perfectly even with the top of the body.
|Right lower body ready to be cut to shape.|
After the piece is secured, then I use a Dremel to smooth down the rivet heads. A little bit of filler and primer completes the look of a perfectly smooth piece, and it now looks like the part has always been attached.
|Cut and bent, holes drilled, ready for the moulding.|
Instead it's just another anonymous vehicle borne in the era of horseless carriages, when the wheels numbered four and the a round steering apparatus had replaced a tiller. It was part of an ever-standardizing design that had the driver sitting on the right (to see the edge of the dirt roads) with pedals for movement and braking dancing at his feet.
|The completed right side with the incomplete left, behind.|
But instead of factory workers bolting everything into place, I'm doing it myself, alone in The Garage. And instead of the work signalling an emergence into the working world, today it signifies an emergence back into the light, back onto a road that differs greatly from the last one this little car saw 80 years ago.