|The magneto gear. Note the cutouts.|
This is a very unique part, and I'm absolutely positive that we have nothing like it. Held in with a D-shaped pin, the little metal sleeve fits around the magneto shaft and is held onto it by the mysterious nut and split washer that I've mentioned before. The little sleeve has two wings on the end closest to the mag, and these fit into notches on the center sleeve of the larger magneto gear. Between these wings and the D-shaped pin, this is what allows the spinning of the car's engine to spin the magneto and thus distribute the spark.
|The magneto shaft with the nut and split washer.|
In the last couple of weeks those men have scanned the piece into a CAD program, measuring it to the third decimal point before using another calibrated machine to corroborate their numbers. They were actually impressed at how this small, well-machined piece could have been made 100 years ago, so they're going to try a couple of different methods to recreate it---I'll let you know what they find if they are successful.
In the meantime, I learned that the Maxwell spark plug wires (which should be 7mm wires, but can be nine if need be) were brown, not oak like I originally thought. Using some old shoestrings, I figured out how much of the wire is needed to reach the four plugs as well as the coil. Assuming I want some extra, here's what I found:
- The first two spark plugs require 36 inches of wire to reach them.
- The back two plugs need 28 inches of wire apiece.
- The coil wire, of which there is only one, can be 20" in length.
- This adds up to 148 inches in total.
|This is what the left rear frame looked like.|
|The plate is now gone, so I can make a new one.|
|The new plate with cutouts.|
|Here's after the first (messy) round of welding.|
|Done for now!|